Sometimes I just can't be bothered cooking. It's not because I don't want to eat, it's just I'm uninspired with the same old meals & I don't really have the energy to try a new recipe or make something up. this happened a few days ago in our house, where neither Jasmine nor I could really be bothered as we were still recovering from the epic 2nd birthday. Someone mentioned burgers offhandly, which is something we haven't done in a while, and while I was struggling to think of a vegetarian option for myself, I remembered we had quite a few falafel packets at home. So after a quick trip to the supermarket, we threw together burgers in less than half an hour!
- Mix 1 packet of Orgran Falafel mix with a little water, stir, and pop in the fridge to chill.
- If you're doing up chips, preheat your oven, and throw the chips in a tray & then in to the oven until golden & crunchy.
- Tear up a small handful of lettuce for each burger, slice up tomato & cucumber.
- Remove the falafel mix from the fridge and taking a small handful form into patties.
- Preheat a fry pan with a little bit of oil, and then put in the falafel patties. Make sure you keep an eye on them so they don't stick to the bottom, turn them frequently for even cooking.
- When the chips are nearly done, put the hamburger buns on to a tray and lightly toast in the oven until just crispy on each side.
- Once everything is cooked, form your burgers with a dollop of hummus on both the top & bottom of the hamburger bun (though if you want a different topping like a bit of yoghurt or mayonaise, that would totally work as well), and then stack your patty, lettuce, tomato & cucumber. Serve with chips, if you think you'll be able to eat it all!
Tips & suggestions -
- Try not to make the Falafel patties too large... For starters there's the obvious - they take longer to cook, but also it turns out they are HUGE on the allergywise buns. I actually ended up cutting 1 patty in half to do 2 burgers.
- If you do have leftover patties, take them to work the next day for lunch! They heat up nicely in the microwave, and as long as you've got some hummus, lettuce & tomato, you've basically got another full meal!
- If you've got people in your house who won't eat falafels (kids, hubby, whoever...) throw some GFTreets Coated Chicken on instead. It's not cooking 2 separate meals, and everyone will be able to enjoy their customized burger.